Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Deb's Update: January 17, 2007, 9 AM P.S.T.

Hi everyone... I'm finally into week 6 of my radiation & chemo. I have to finish the rest of this week and then all of next week... then I'm DONE (for now). I think that each week does get a little tougher in terms of the treatments but I usually don't feel awful, just a little more tired.

I spoke with Dr. Yu and Anne (nurse practitioner) yesterday in terms of the vaccine study that I am interested in doing. They have to wait for new IRB approved Informed Consent Document before I can sign it and make sure that I meet the subject criteria. They are actually hoping that I can screen the first or second week of February. I have a good feeling about this study, so I'm very interested in participating! As you can imagine, I decided to ask Dr. Yu about the DMV driving issues... He basically said that physicians do send info to the DMV when people should not drive for 6 months post seizures. The person it relates to is usually informed at the same time. So, the guess is that nobody has told anything to the DMV about my sensory partial-seizures (My fingers are still crossed!) I will be talking to my Radiation doc today about that just to make sure he hasn't told the DMV either! As you can tell, I want to drive again (at least locally) after these treatments are done next week.

I have also made my first appointments with an Oncologist and Neurologist here in Thousand Oaks so that I don't have to ALWAYS go back to Cedars-Sinai hospital (it's about an hour away and when I can't drive..... you know how tough that is!). Of course the driving thing is on my list, but I'm guessing that local driving will be okay :-)

I am really trying to figure out when I can get Radar back from Arizona. My friend Kimmie said she would help me and drive me out there if I needed her to. I'm guessing it'll be a long drive so we could stay out in AZ the day we get him and drive home the next day. Of course I would bring Nala with us too since she probably can't wait to see him! I cannot wait to get him back... Not sure if Joey will be excited to have him back, but maybe they'll play too! My wonderful next door neighbors also said they would absolutely drive me out to AZ to get Radar back... thank goodness I live in a pet friendly neighborhood!!!

Lisa left yesterday morning and Carrie arrived yesterday afternoon. It's not uncommon to just talk for the first day people are here because I'm so excited that they're here to visit and to help. So, of course Lisa was here on the first weekend that I didn't take my chemo so it was like I wasn't being treated anymore! Of course this wasn't true... we did stuff on Saturday (mostly errands) but I decided that we should stay home on Sunday to do stuff around the house. Lisa did the cleaning of the inside and outside of the cabinets & drawers with lemon and warm water. There are tons of cabinets so it was great that she decided to tackle that one! Of course she wanted to cook for me so we had a tasty Italian meal - Pasta with her sauce on Monday night!!! On Sunday she put together some furniture.... So, the living room looks great and is DONE now since she put the coffee table together. Carrie and I will be discussing the "LIST" of what to do after I write this blog update!

Thank you all for the positive thoughts and comments on this site! I love to go to the blog site several times a day to see what people wrote... As you can tell, I sometimes write comments on YOUR comments :-)

-Debbie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie,

You really do sound GREAT!!! I'm very happy to hear that your treatments are going well...I feel for you with the not driving thing...stinks when you always have to rely on someone else to take you places....I know, in High School YOU were that person LOL!!! remember the impala???? Great car!!! it was grammas, wasn't it? You stay strong and positive like you have been, who knows, maybe the study will prove positive, and you'll have a cure or medicine named after you...wouldn't that be somethin!!! I always knew you were gonna make it big!!! Miss you and love ya lots.
Love,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,

always great to see a new posting -you are checking the blogsite as often as we all did before you began writing your own updates - it was such a great way to be kept up to date, and reading everyone's comments was both touching and funny. I bet that more of us are now e-mailing with you directly (like me for instance)and less likely to post to the blog. But, now that I know how much you enjoy reading comments, I will continue to leave at least one for each new post!
Good to see that you are continuing to crack the whip for all your visitors (that's why you won't see me out there :)). Must be great to see your new home really start to pull together.
Enjoy Carrie's visit as you steam towards the end of your current treatment regimen - what a fantastic milestone - be sure to celebrate - perhaps with a jaunt in the groovy Element wearing your tres chic Crocs!.

Best always,

Barbara

Anonymous said...

deb its so great to hear the smile in your voice. i'm glad you are feeling better and have so much help. hugs to you powerflexer!
love,
rae
rtinsley@coh.org

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute... Did Barbara just tell you to go for a celebratory cruise in the Element wearing your Crocs???? I don't think she's feeling very well. What have you done to her???
But if you drove an Impala in High School, you're OK with me. I had a huge green one too - it was my Dad's. Great for cruisin the strip.
Get Radar and let me know how the Funky Swingin works for him! I might need to have someone evaluate my house and have Anita and some Connecticut women come do some work for me.
Love ya man!
-Mol

Anonymous said...

I think Barbara has her fingers crossed that I can drive myself again, Crocs or no Crocs!!! She always has a positive attitude towards what I'm doing so she's feeling just fine Mollie!!! :-)
I can't wait to get Radar, but not sure if the FS will work for him, but my fingers are crossed... stay tuned for that news...
-Debbie

Anonymous said...

FS - FOR SURE, right?

bb

Anonymous said...

I think she meant Feng Shui????

Anonymous said...

I know - just kidding!

Anonymous said...

This is Debbie's cousin, Jeanne. Like all of you I check this site to catch up on the news and enjoy everyone's comments. Have to say that Mollie cracks me up!

Deb, glad this round of torture is almost over---one week left, you did it girl!!
I'll be interested to hear about the study you'd like to qualify for and participate in. Steven and I are eagerly watching the stem cell stuff, waiting for green light on heart muscle regeneration. Hey, as long as we all have hope, our outlook stays positive and we can just enjoy life, one day at a time. Sounds like you believe that too.....keep those spirits up and rest when your body tells you to!

Much love and prayers from me to you................."jellybean"

Anonymous said...

Jeanne - now you've done it - gone and given Mollie a compliment which will only encourage her to post even more - oh noooooooo! :o SAT analogy - compliment is to Mollie as gasoline is to flame!

I do not dare sign this

Anonymous said...

I'm only here to mentally wrangle with giants like you, Debbie. I figure if Barb and everyone else gives you the positive, supportive energy, and I meet that positive energy with a challenge or dare - just a small one - then the cycle of the Universe is complete, the stars are aligned, and all that stuff. Besides, you and I both know that if I were being all sappy and supportive, it would just irritate both of us and be counterproductive.
And YOU used to call my last car the "Rancho Cucamunga", even though you KNOW it was a babe magnet. (so you started it, nyahhh)

By the way, anonymous person who dares not sign your name, I will find and expose you. You will be pranked. If I find out it was Baris, "The Leg" picture will appear in public places all around the world.

Debbie - I'm so excited you're coming to an end to the major mojo chemo. I'm also really excited about the stem cell studies. Since I work in oncology research, I have been reading a lot of promising results from the early studies and I follow them closely.
Keep focused on life and laughter.
Love ya man!
-Mol