Monday, January 22, 2007

Deb's Update: January 21, 2006 9:00 PM P.S.T.

Hi All,

Just wanted to write a quick blog message to give you an update on what's going on. I couldn't stop laughing about the "collection" of the last comments that were written for my last message... The good thing is, I know who writes everything :-)

Last week's radiation therapy changed a bit. They are now radiating the area where the exact tumor was. Previously they were radiating an area that was also around the tumor area for the "spider legs" that the glioblastoma tumors have. I also found out that I am actually going to have SEVEN weeks (35 days of treatment) when I was told 6.5 weeks a few weeks ago. I'm starting to wonder if I'm just getting treated more since I am still with a "normal amount of energy" (according to my Rad. Onc. doc). Of course, for me it's not normal but he obviously doesn't know the amount of energy I usually have! You guys know that :-)

I have an appointment with a local oncologist this Wednesday. She will be the one that follows me for the chemo cycles that I will have this year. I also found out that I will be getting more than the standard 6 cycles... I keep getting told that when you're young and healthy, you get the MAX amount of treatment... Bring it on!

Oh, I did have the discussion with the Rad. Onc. doc AGAIN to talk about driving and he said that local driving is okay after the chem/radiation treatment is done on Jan 30th! Yippee... Element, here I come :-)

I have a new plan with getting Radar! My mom decided to come out on Feb 9th and we will drive out there on Feb 10th to get my boy.... I CAN'T WAIT! It's a big thank you to my mom! I guess I should call the Briard Rescue Club/Kennel to make sure that someone will be there to give him back to me... stay tuned.

Carrie's visit was great! She did a great job on the cleaning most definitely. She finished the warm water with lemon cleaning for the remainder of my cabinets and drawers... plus she couldn't help herself so she keep cleaning even more of the kitchen.... the counters! They look great. She also helped me with the recycling stuff in the garage to make sure that area gets clean too! Of course I made her drive me to a dog show in Ventura since I am hooked on that and I wanted to meet some Briards out here. She was hooked too! It was also good that I had to explain how it all works when there are non-champions being shown to get their championship... I am obviously hoping to finish Radar eventually :-) She left on Saturday morning and we did try to get a picture to post but we couldn't figure out how to get my digital camera to take our picture... I guess 5 minutes is not enough time to figure out how to use the timer on my camera :-) Joann arrived on Saturday evening...

On Saturday night, Kimmie came to make Joann and me a home cooked meal - PIZZA. That's obviously what I've been interested in and Kim is a great cook! We were all stuffed but happy after eating the pizza. Kimmie also brought "The Devil Wears Prada" movie for us to watch... we all enjoyed it since none of us had seen it before. Kim left this morning and I made Joann take me back to the dog show in Ventura... I couldn't help but wanting to go AGAIN. It's not that much energy that I have to use since I just sit and watch it :-) Thank you to Joann for allowing me to stay there longer than she would have! But, for those of you who know I need to 'rest' or nap, I laid low when I got home. Joann is also a great cook and she went grocery shopping for our meals this week while I took a quick nap. Amy (DiRico) is coming on Wednesday late afternoon... stay tuned for the remainder of Joann's visit and Amy's visit. My sister Amy is actually coming with Meredith right before Amy D leaves... So, even if I'm having name finding difficulties towards the end of this chemo/radiation treatment, at least I can say the same name :-) I guess I should call Amy Manning on the phone that week too!!!! (I can't help myself with saying all that)

Hopefully I'll write again this week. Come on comments, come on...

-Debbie

15 comments:

Friends of Deb said...

Hey Deb,
Great to hear all your news and especially that Radar will be coming home soon. Give Joann a big "hi" from us. We're waiting for the ax to fall today at the Pfizers. Something you both know all too well. We'll see what happens...
Love,
Amy, Brian (aka Mr. Amy if this makes it easier!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
Another great post including the good news that you shall be back in your element(Element)before you know it! sorry - could not resist that one as it seemed to have my name on it - Mollie I am sure will call me corny and unimaginative, but I have been called worse by better :).
The visitor parade continues - what a wonderful thing that is huh? And quite productive visits indeed.
Amy and Brian mentioned today and its Pfizer significance - big announcements in the wind - as fellow AtS-ers, I am sure we all hope that our friends and colleagues get the news that they are wishing for - for some that will be separation/packages, for others, staying with the company. I know that many who may get bad news today will be able to manange and frame it in the right context and perspective because of you, Deb - and that is one of your gifts to your Pfizer friends today.

Later....

Best,

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb!
How weird is this???..........I'm sitting here reading your blog and Peter calls me from work and asks me if I want to go to CA. He doesn't know when or for how long (yes, that's how he works. Never one for details.) But, he said he's going to have to go for work and it would be in the southern part of the state. I know I've only been there once, but I'm sure I could find my way to your part of the state for a visit. I'll have to get more details when he gets home tonight. I'll also have to check airfare prices since it is a possiblity that the kids would have to come with us.
I'm glad you're feeling well even though they've lengthened your treatment time. I guess that means they think you can handle it, so that's good. I'm hoping you can get Radar back soon. Although I'm not a huge animal fan, I understand the love you have for your pets and it will be great to have everyone under the same roof once again. Take care and I'll keep you updated on Peter's business trip once I know what's going on.
Love ya!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm waiting for the quips from Mollie about Deb getting to drive the car and Barbara's play on words. To use Debbie's words: "bring it on!"

Deb, I had a great chat with your mom this weekend. Glad she will be able to get out there again and help you get your dog. If your spirits start to lag, just think about that adventure and keep on smilin'!...........Jeanne

Anonymous said...

aha - cousin Jeanne weighs in :)

Anonymous said...

Amy M,
Didn't you mean Dr. Amy? :-)

Anonymous said...

OKAY, Debbie. . . Finally a comment from your sister, but only because you are thriving on the comments.

Only 7 more radiation treatments . . . Hooray!!! You, me and Meredith will have to celebrate in style!!!! Meredith already has five dresses picked out for the occasion and she is very excited about flying to California to visit Aunt Debbie. She just can't quite understand why she has to wait a few more days before we leave.

We are all so proud of the progress you have made and are thankful for the positive attitude and poise you have shown in this great battle. Of us four kids, you are the one that has always been strong, composed, and positive . . . a true fighter. We have all learned so much from your strength and determination. Keep strong and positive as you enter the next phase of your treatment and recovery!

By the way, Jeanne, it's so nice to hear from you on the blog. I know Debbie feels great just knowing that you (and other cousins) are out there caring and thinking about her and visiting the blog site regularly.

Amy

Anonymous said...

I'm tempted to post anonymously too, for the love of God... I haven't posted because my blinkety-blank-blinkin' computer is NOT cooperating with me. It needs some radiation therapy and will be sent to CA very soon to move in with Deb, receive some Fung Shui and be re-named Amy in order to learn to play nicely with others. Yes, Baris, you are corny and unimaginative, but small animals like you, and I still have that manager of the year photo of you, so you don't bother me.
For those of you who end up going to "visit" (read cook/clean/work yourselves to a lather) Deb after Radar returns, be prepared to go sit in public places with them while she asks total strangers to pet her dog in order to help him get used to being touched. This is NOT a result of brain surgery or radiation - she did this PRIOR to all of that. Deb - remember going to Wal-Mart and Home Depot and sitting there with the toothless, tattooed masses and giving them specific instructions on how and where to touch Radar? Where was Alan Funt when you needed him.
I still can't believe they're letting you drive that thing. You need an El Camino.
Love ya man.
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb, when Meredith visits, be sure to have her show you her "shuffle, shuffle, stomp". She's a dancing maniac! I bet you'll be able to show her a few things that she can take home to her dance teacher! Then you guys can nap together after all that boogie-ing...
Love ya,
Mary, Dan & Logan

Anonymous said...

Of course I can show Meredith how to dance... everyone knows that :-) I remember making Logan laugh as I did my lawnmower dance move! If we ever needed him to laugh, I'd just 'mow the lawn'!!!

I am thnking that since I will be done treatment while Amy and Meredith are here, we can maybe go to a fun place like Disney or something... it would be good to go with a 3 year old kid since I can't stay that long either! And of course I can ride the kid rides with her :-)

-Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

What great news - you get to drive AND get Radar back! You must be beside yourself.

You have an amazing family and some terrific friends, don't you? I think that says a great deal about you :) A group of us got together to wish Darcy farewell and Anita was there. She shared lots of great stories and made us wish we were there with you (except for all of the cleaning stuff!).

We are all hanging in there in Groton. We miss you and are glad you are doing so well and are so positive. Take care!

Love, Kristin C-F

Anonymous said...

Does anyone think if I went out to the Briard Rescue place and took my 10 pound monster vicious weenie dog with name tags that said "Radar" there's a chance Deb would take her too????

No, I didn't think so either, but there's always room to hope...

Anonymous said...

Dear Deb
I love these comments, and i love your spirit! I am so glad you'll be getting radar back soon. I'm sure it has been a hard few months without him. Being a new dog owner I know how attached one can get.

I guess i'm waiting in line quietly to come see you. I am getting over a sinus infection so I have had something to do in the nean time, blow my nose. ha ha

Ok i'm definitly not as funny as everyone else is, sorry. Can't wait to see you soon and meet radar.
antonietta

Anonymous said...

Ant and Donna,

Definitely let me know when you guys can come... I'd love to see both of you. I'm not sure how I'll be doing when I'm done the radiation/chemo before I start the 1st cycle (it's a much higher dose of Temodar)... Ant, are you available anytime after Feb 2nd? My sister and Meredith are leaving that day and my mom isn't able to come until the 9th... Just let me know! If you come that time Ant, please bring your puppy with you- Nala would love that!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Deb,

I'm right there with Mollie, my computer has been on the fritz and this is the first time I've been able to get the blog up....annoying, because I've been wanting to read all the comments!!! Anyway, good news all around!!! You're kids will all be home again soon :) You're so funny with the dancing thing...do you remember the shiny happy people dance that we used to do at fsc with becky? What was the dance you used to do in high school? I think it was a version of the lawnmower!!! You crack me up!!! I wish I could be one of your visitors, but with the new business and all, I can't get away......If I could, I would! Stay strong and Positive....you are such an inspiration!!! My mom sent me some photos of us all gussied up for the junior prom....soooooo funny!!!!
Love ya lots
Love,
Nikki