Friday, January 05, 2007

Deb's Update: January 4, 2007 8 PM P.S.T.

Happy 2007 everyone! It seems like I haven't written in a long time, but I guess technically it's only been a week... obviously I've done a lot this past week! I think I'll try to type several times per week since I am feeling better, my word finding is getting better and I always want to read "comments" from you folks :-) I always log on daily to see what you guys say too!!!! I know several of you thought either Mohawk or mullet would be my next hair style, but I'm hopeful that it won't be... I actually have lots of hair loss areas but thankfully they are covered by the other hair- THANKFULLY! Also, thank you so much for the sympathy for my Gram's passing on...

I'm on week 4 of chemo and radiation... I counted the number of days that I have left this morning since I am getting antsy to get back into my normal routine (and of course I can't wait to go get Radar from the Briard Rescue place in AZ). So, there are 13 days of radiation left (Thank God, I really need to keep more hair!) and 19 days of this chemo dose left....BUT, chemo will continue for a full year. It will be dosed for 5 days then I'll have 25 days off ...... the one tough thing is that it's a double type dose! Every now and then I still get nausea and occasionally I have to vomit once a day. It's not something that I now know how to prevent, but I'm sure it's just to slow me down and make me lay on the couch, get some rest, or nap!!! Obviously my energy seems to be coming back (not sure why, but I'll take it!). I think it's a little shocking for the doctors, but I definitely make them laugh and smile so its not a bad thing I guess :-)

Tomorrow I have to go and see a Neurologist (Dr. Chow) at Cedar Sinai... I think it's since I am still on the anti-seizure medication Keppra. As you can imagine, I am hoping to get a few positive answers to my questions... (1) I want to know if I can drive my Honda Element again even though I am on an anti-seizure medication!!! Don't be jealous that I have that (okay, I know that nobody likes the Honda Element but I couldn't resist to say that!!!)! (2) plus I want to know if I can get back onto my Allegra for my allergies... East Coasters: don't be jealous that flowers, grass and outside plants still bloom in California during the winter!

Yesterday evening, Al went back home to CT. Al's visit was great! He has done so much that was on "the list" like painting my bedroom furniture, putting up the new door for the master bathroom, and putting the guestroom headboard furniture together. Of course he did the usual which is driving me everywhere I need to go (including the Cedar Sinai hospital an hour away!), getting me take-out food that I crave, cleaning the bathroom which is always important every week, etc... He certainly always made sure that I wasn't lifting more than 5 lbs which is not a hospital/surgery rule that I have to follow (I think I pretended that I couldn't remember that one...). Yesterday morning Al thankfully went to LAX to pick up my next house guest- Jodi.

During Al's visit, I had the energy and excitement to head to Disney for New Years Eve. I was excited because my step-brother Cliff and his wife Christina wanted to come as well... The 4 of us realized that getting a New Years Eve Disneyland tickets would be a miracle! Apparently we would have to get there by 10 AM to get a ticket and pretty much stay in the park all day! Obviously I'm not that energetic at this point so that wasn't an option. We decided to get there around 5:30 PM to get that miracle.... it didn't happen! Apparently, even the people with tickets that left the park mid-day couldn't get back in that evening/night because the park was PACKED!!! Can you believe it? So, we spent several hours walking through the Downtown Disney area which is free and right next to Disneyland. It's full of Disney type stores, bars, restaurants and lots of outdoor musicians so it was interesting. We realized that it would be a nice "rest" (most likely for me I'm guessing...) to go to the movies while we were in there. We ended up seeing the Night in the Museum movie with Ben Stiller.... it was easy to watch and made me laugh (always a good thing!).

Jodi and I are back to our usual stuff! She came yesterday morning and we talked for hours and planned what we would do while she's here... okay, I mean, we planned on what Jodi could do for me! But, Jodi is so surprised and happy that I am acting like I usually do except that I can't drive my own car... Or, I don't usually need to go to a doctor every day..... But, I like to eat out, I like to walk around the mall, I like to talk, and I like to organize stuff in the house! Of course she knows my rules (I'm guessing Al told her during her ride here from LAX...) of no lifting more and 5 lbs and no bending over and putting my head down low. Interestingly enough, Jodi needed a nap yesterday afternoon but of course I did stuff around the house during that nap of hers... I think I was just so happy to have her here for her visit so I was wide awake with energy!

Stay tuned for the details on the remainder of Jodi's visit. My friend Anita will get here tomorrow and will be staying here for a week.... hhhhhm, I wonder what will be on her "to-do" list???

Love,
Deb

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb,

You make me laugh....you sure are back to your old self....that's so good to hear!!! And HEY, flowers are blooming on the East Coast....IN FLORIDA!!!! Don't forget we're not all in snow land :) I'm so glad that you are steadily having visitors, wish I could be one of them....you drive a What????? is that the Honda that looks like a box? Ugh, Deb, What were you thinkin? LOL!!!! I am going to send you a couple pics of mya to your email.....she's almost 6 months old now...can you believe it....she's soooo cute, so check your email, kay? Stay strong and positive. Miss you and love ya lots.
Love,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

You are too funny, Deb! Organizing, projects, Disney, visitors....I wouldn't believe the ordeal you're going through if I didn't know you and saw you in action now. You have some fantastic friends that are able to come be with you. I don't think I'd be a good one to visit with my 2 little ones in tow. I wish I could though. How's the hair situation? Hopefully with radiation only lasting a couple of more weeks, you can keep most of it. I'm sure you'll come up with some kind if chique "do" either way. I'm so glad to hear that your spitits are upbeat and you're feeling pretty well. I look forward to hearing from you again soon. Take care!
Love ya!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb,

Great long post - much detail and laughs - you are a crack-up. as long as Anita's to-do list does NOT include cooking, you shall be ok. Anita has many talents, but cooking is most definitely not among them unless you count toast or microwave popcorn as haute cuisine ;o)!

Have a great visit with both Jodi and Anita and the rest of that motley crew as they arrive weekly thru the end of January. You shall be quite the princess with your loyal servants dancing in attendance. What a great month you all will have spending time together - now that's a real holiday gift for you and for them!

Always thinking of you,

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

You are definitely getting back to your usual self which is wonderful.... and we thank God for that. So Anita is taking off to visit you.... she did not mention that during our team T/C yesterday.... can't wait to get some firsthand info from her when she returns.

So how does it feel to have Chauffeurs? Exciting I am sure. Scholastica asks about you pretty much on a daily basis and is very happy to hear that you are on your way back to full recovery.

Please continue to keep us informed of your progress and your plan to give us more frequent update is a great one.

All the best from all of us: Patrick, Scholastica, The Triplets (Sarah Ogechi, David Ikenna and Patrick Ifeanyi Jr.... who turned 3 on December 26, 2006)

Anonymous said...

Dear God, I'm dizzy from reading this one. Here's hoping the doctors tell you there's no way in hell they'll allow you to drive a Honda Element. You live in Thousand Oaks - you're going to HAVE to get a better looking vehicle to drive around in. They probably would have been allowing you to drive anything else a long time ago.....
And what's this about you not being able to stand on your head, spin around and lift over 5 pounds? Sounds like a description of one of your dance routines. And now Anita is coming out to visit you? I'm frightened.
Keep it rockin!
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
I loved the last two postings, as I was smiling at all your energy and humor and thinking how I would also require many naps to keep up with you!! I am thrilled to hear you still feel like your energetic self despite the treatments!

I hope to see some feng shui 'before' and 'after' pics as well so this can become your own blog/HGTV show!

xxooo
Alicyn