Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Deb's Update: January 8, 2007 9:00 PM PST.

Hi All,

Can you believe I am updating the site this soon? Lots to say so I think it's a good thing...

Today I had the first day of Radiation for the 5th week. I also met with my Radiation Oncologist (always once per week) to give him an update on how I'm feeling and to discuss my lab results, side effects, etc... He basically thinks I'm doing well but doesn't want me to crash during the next two and a half weeks. So, I'm sure you can guess what he suggested: I have to relax a bit more..... NAPPING! I actually am trying to plan on what part of the day I will nap and will put it on the schedule so it HAS to be done! Dr. Ahn also told me that I am getting more radiation than the 'normal' amount due to my age and health. One bad thing is that I really do have to go six and a half weeks.... my thought on that was that he was adding the skipped Mondays (Christmas and New Years) to the sixth week and calling it six and a half weeks. But, he is basically adding 3 extra days so in my mind, it is 7 weeks on a calendar. BUT, I am technically over half-way done!!! In addition, he doesn't want my WBC (White Blood Cell count) to go down low enough so that I have to stop the radiation and chemo treatments in the next few weeks. So, he told me to not take the Temodar on Saturdays and Sundays but I will still take it during the week until I am done with the radiation.

Now to tell you about my Neurologist visit at Cedars-Sinai last Friday... definitely not fun! It was one of the toughest days since I had to ride in car while I was nauseous. Those of you who know my car sickness history will understand this... I actually had to throw up in the car garage before heading into the doctor's office! YUCK... but, of course I'm always prepared...... I had a plastic bag in my purse which I could use so at least it didn't make a major puke mess near another car or in the elevator! I'm sure you can imagine that I was hoping that I would thoroughly enjoy meeting this doctor, but that wasn't exactly what happened. Okay, so my first question to him was, "When can I drive my Honda Element?" and the second question was, "Can I take my Allegra for my allergies?". I basically got no real answers so I wasn't thrilled. He said that Allegra would be okay to take with the anti-seizure drug but I should ask the oncologist if it is okay with the Temodar. Now for the driving part........ He was very adamant about not driving for 6 months post a seizure. Of course I had done my research on the DMV rules and my type of seizure stuff before our 'meeting'. So, basically if you have a partial seizure (that was me with the tumor and/or swelling in my head) and NO loss of consciousness you could get a note from your doctor and could drive 3 months after your seizure (which for me is the pine smelling, 'sensory partial seizure') or whenever they thought you were doing okay. He was a bit annoyed with all of the facts that I told him the partial seizure driving stuff! But, I couldn't help myself... the ELEMENT IS WAITING! Thankfully I backed it up in the driveway today which was a little helpful :-)

Jodi left yesterday morning. It was a great visit that wasn't too different from our usual visits together at my house. The only different things were that she drove me around, cleaned my house, waited on me for lots of snack things and put the hydrocortisone on the side of my face and scalp (redness and itchiness is from the radiation therapy). More than half the time Jodi was here I had nausea and sometimes even vomiting. So, of course she stayed by my side when I wasn't feeling well and kept me company which was great. She and Anita both helped tremendously when the Feng Shui lady came to finish fixing my house on Sunday.

The house feels "homey" now!!! It has even helped the pets which is what Patti (the Feng Shui woman) has always said it would do. Apparently whoever is in this house would feel relaxed but also energized and happy... Here are the interesting Feng Shui facts for my pets now that it's finished: Joey (my 10 and a half year old cat) and Nala (my 4 and a half year old cattle dog mix) have started to play with each other!!! Happy Days definitely.... for the 4 years that I've had Nala, Joey would never come out of his cat tree or walk around. Now he walks wherever he feels like going, she barely chases him again (unless they are playing and he runs away because he's finished!) and they can sit next to each other to get treats too! I am so excited. Of course since Radar (my 3 year old Briard) is in Arizona still right now, I hope it helps him too... I told Patti what I would like Radar to get in terms of behavior changes and she said that once he moves back home, he should feel so much better and should behave! My fingers are crossed.....

Because Anita was here since last Friday night, she was here on the Feng Shui Sunday day too! She didn't know too much about Feng Shui and even thought she would take the dog out for a walk since Nala is not allowed inside during Patti's visit. But, once she met Patti she realized that she had to move furniture and help put up art! In a nutshell, I think she's hooked on Feng Shui now :-) She realizes that my house feels different now and we ALL learned so many basic Feng Shui tips that day. Here are just a few: Toilet lids should always be closed after being used, the toilet should also have a plant above it either on the wall behind it (which can be a picture of plants, flowers, trees, etc...) or on top of the tank (but if it can't be real it needs to be silk, not dead!), and you should never have ANY dead plants or flowers in your house...... NONE! So, those of you that have some decorations that are dried flowers, throw them out!!! Interestingly enough, I happened to have a book that she always recommended to people.

Anita has done so much outdoor stuff since she has been here last Friday night! I'm guessing it's because the weather has been beautiful and she likes to spend her time outside in the warm weather... but of course it could be because her "to do" list has grown since Patti was here on Sunday!!! Maybe it's a combination, or maybe it's because this is her first visit to California! So far she has finished painting the furniture for my bedroom (outside of course!), has trimmed two ficus trees in my front yard, cleaned the front porch and today she will be cleaning the inside and outside of all the windows... Per Patti, they need to be clean so that the light can come in from outside! I hope that Anita will take a break one day so that we can drive to the beach...I'm thinking that Venice Beach will be interesting for her!!! I am hoping that I feel good the day of her "break" so I can go with her... If not, I thankfully have the Tom Tom navigation system in the car that can get her there. Stay tuned for the rest of her week.

Again, thank-you so much for all of your support, help and positive thoughts! Keep the 'comments' coming on the blog website...

Debbie

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb Deb! Tom Tom!! Too funny too funny!!

See you this week for dinner one night! I will call you soon.

Bao-Van

Anonymous said...

wow - two long posts within days of each other - it is great to read your updates Deb, even if you are discussing baggies full of vomit :). Sounds like Anita is working hard, but I am sure she is enjoying being able to help you out with some of these things that you cannot tackle yourself right now. She is acutally staying outside so much to avoid the kitchen since she cannot function in that room, Feng Shui or no Feng Shui!

Be sure you are a compliant patient and are getting the rest that you need to keep pace with your treatments, ok? Don't push yourself too far past whatever limits are placed by the docs, ok? I realize that you being you will push the envelope a bit, but keep it in this solar sytem, all right?

Good news about Nala and Joey - maybe there really is something to all this voodoo stuff!

Enjoy the rest of the week with Anita - hopefully Margaret can hook up with you guys before Anita has to head back to CT.

Best,

Barbara

Anonymous said...

Debbie, Debbie, Debbie - You could have just asked me about all the Feng Shui - I call it having bad dogs. You HAVE to close the toilet lids, or they become impromptu drinking dishes. Come to think of it, your animals are probably calmer because they're dehydrated, and thirsty - you closed the toilets!! Plants, dried, dead, living, silk...Forget about plants in the house period if you have a Bassett hound puppy - they just get shredded, eaten and smeared all over (especially if they're poisonous).
And I'm sorry that your car only has Tom Toms for navigation. If you save up, perhaps you can start sending smoke signals too...Isn't it difficult to keep your hands on the wheel, and bang on the drums at the same time?
Dear Lord - if you take Anita to Venice Beach...Do me a favor, take a picture of her next to the muscle men, and post it to the blog, OK?
It was great talking with you the other day. Smoke is still pouring out of my ear, but I'm recoving nicely.
Love ya, man!
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Very interesting aoout all the feng shui stuff....what other great tips did you get??? I'm so glad to hear about all the stuff you're getting done around the house....who's next on the visitation list? You crack me up with your stories, you always were a good story teller...keep them coming, we all love and enjoy reading your posts!!!! Love ya lots.
Love,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

For those interested in more Feng Shui details, you can always call me! Or, just get that book Move Your Stuff Change Your Life and you may be hooked... I tell you one thing, I have felt great since Sunday when the Feng Shui ladies were here... hhhmmmm???

-Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb!
Get this....since you've been talking about it, I've noticed that there is a new Feng Shui business here in town! Never seen anything like it before until now. Coincidence???? I think not! Everything happens for a reason. I'm trying to talk Peter into checking it out with me this weekend.
Not driving sucks! I know when I had my seizures, my neurologist didn't label me as having them 'cause they would have taken my license away for a year. And since my seizure activity was too small and infrequent, and I could tell that I was going to have one about an hour before it actually happened, he thought it was ok for me to keep my license. Thank God! I did rely on coworkers to drive me to and from work for a while and I didn't drive long distances just 'cause I was nervous that it would happen while I was far away from home. Anyway........
I hope you got the pictures of the girls that I sent to your email address. They're getting so big! I can't wait to have another one!!! I know I just had Riley, but 3 of my friends are prego now and I have the itch. :)
Keep writing! I love to hear from you! Take care!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Deb,
I haven't posted in a while but just got caught up on all the updates I have missed. Half-way done!! I am so interested in all the Feng Shui stuff!!! I can't get over the impact it has had on your pets! I have to say though, it would be a real challenge for me to get Jon to put the toilet seat cover down, though. I can't get him to put the seat back down!! But I like the ideas!! Keep it up, Deb - you're an inspiration!! By the way, I made your Neiman Marcus cookies this year around the holidays. I took your advice and used the old fashion oats and not the quick oats. Big difference!
Susan C

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb glad to see yoru feeling good and writing, I love checking your blog to see how your doing. Love the Fung Shui stuff !!!

You keep up the great work in no time you'll be back in full force!!

Laura
COH

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,

I'm glad to see your posts and your open sharing. You are inspiring!

You have me in stitches, and I really needed to laugh today. Thank you!

My toilet seat is now down, and the silk flowers on my dining room table are going in the bag to Good Will (donation) this weekend.....along with a bunch of other junk that gives me bad vibes. I guess it is time for me to take my FAKE Christmas tree down too. I'm sure that's probably on the list of things not to have in a Feng Shui oriented space.

Good thing the docs are begging you to NAP. I can certainly relate to the need and desire to nap........I just rarely get the opportunity these days. So, take a couple of naps for me, WILL YOU??!! I may take your advice and start scheduling it in on some weekends as a HAVE TO DO item. Seriously...

From my experience as a patient with serious chronic conditions for over a decade, I strongly encourage you to keep challenging those doctors if you disagree with them based on information you have read or obtained from sources you feel are reliable. Read and learn everything you can about your condition and the conventional and alternative treatment options. Get second opinions if your instinct tells you to. Trust your instinct. Understand you may often feel like docs aren't cooperating and/or respecting your requests. Many physicians are not keen on having highly assertive patients who challenge them....they get uncomfortable when their authority is questioned.

Also, understand that in the larger scheme of things there is a reason for everything.....even if you find yourself frustrated with particular news on a particular day. This is YOUR journey.....not the doctors'. There is a great deal of personal growth that will stem from the resistance you may in the "Universe" (as I like to call it).

Maybe there is a way to Feng Shui the garage and / or driveway....to hold positive intention for you driving you Element soon. Check into that if you haven't already!

Bright Beacons from Boston,
Karin Graefe

Anonymous said...

Deb,
Thanks for the tips! I can feel all your energy all the way on the east coast as I read your postings! Have you considered chinese herbs for the nausea? A local practitioner of chinese medicine could give you a consultation and treatment.

let me know when you are allowed on a surfboard so I can come visit and get you paddling out on a board (don't worry, we'll pick a soft foam one!)
:)

Much love,
Alicyn