Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Deb's Update: October 9, 2007

Hi all,

Here is an update with no pictures... now I'm totally due to post photos: from Jodi's visit, the dog's new trick, Camp Keepsake, and now the Red Sox/ Angels game!

I'm done cycle 8 and all is well. The dose did go up a little for 3 of the 5 days... I'll take it! It didn't make me feel any worse, so I'll have to see how the labs go tomorrow. Hopefully my counts are the usual counts that I've been having since Radiation/Chemo combo. Of course I am completely focusing on my brain these days... wondering if I can feel a twitch in the frontal lobe, or headache, or balance problems, etc... So far so good. I am hopeful that Monday the 15th's MRI will be the same (which will be a good thing!).

I'm still meditating but it seems to be more challenging now that I'm back into my normal routine. But, I would say it's still keeping me grounded which is a good thing :-) I even meditated the usual times while I was at the Camp Keepsake event the weekend of September 28th, 29th and 30th! Now I can talk about the Cancer Hope Foundation camping event...

As much as I didn't want to go to the camp with all cancer survivors, their families, current chemo patients, etc... it was great! Thanks to Kim for making me apply to get into the camp for that weekend. Campers and their friends/family were given a host who was the one that helped us do EVERYTHING that weekend from getting warm water to drink, meeting us at an event of doing crafts, or going to a Life Coach to hear him talk about getting your life in order. Kim and my host Donna was amazing... she even made Kim and I some nice scarves which was needed at night in Malibu!

Thankfully the camp had 'dormitories' instead of tents! Phew, huh? I wouldn't have been interested if I had to sleep in a tent, on the ground, when it's cold! Okay, not totally cold, but you get my idea, huh? We arrived on Friday night at 4:30 PM and set up our room in our London Tower dormitory (everything was named for Europe stuff since that was the theme!). Then it was introduction time to the staff and a nice camp dinner... okay, so the food wasn't great, but the atmosphere was. The one thing that was completely amazing is that all of the events from jugglers, singers, 'coaches', massage therapist, other spa treatment types, acupuncturists, etc... were all volunteers. They spent their time to help us and never got paid a dime by us or by the Cancer Hope Foundation. Amazing, huh? My hope is that someday, I can become a host and help someone there... I told my Mom she will be coming with me next year! I'm sure she will love it too!

There was obviously lots to do which I am not going into too much details on, but you can always check the website for the Camp Keepsake and you'll be able to see how amazing it is. We got pictures from them but Kim has the CD so she could copy it for herself... so, I of course don't have those pictures to post yet. I'm really getting behind in pictures, huh?

I was able to go to the third game for the Red Sox... they were out here in Anaheim playing the Angels (I'm sure you all know that) so I knew it would be a great/fun thing to do. If you saw the game, you can relate: WHAT A SWEEP! The Sox won 9 to 0... you should have seen all the Angels fans leave in the 8th inning knowing their team wouldn't win. Boy oh boy was I glad to be sitting near the Red Sox dugout since there were lots and lots of Sox fans screaming and yelling. Of course, we made the Angels fans 'annoyed', but hey, live life to the fullest, huh? Now if the Red Sox get into the World Series with the Diamondbacks, you know where I'll want to be: Arizona! I've been to the stadium in Phoenix before so it'd be a great place to see the Sox...

I should know in the next 2 weeks ( I know I keep saying something like that!) whether I have a job here at Amgen or not. We were told that about 675 people would be laid off from the Thousand Oaks campus... So, fingers are crossed that regardless of what happens, I can keep insurance somehow. It's not all about work for me these days, it's all about keeping health insurance!!!

I have definitely added more Yoga than I had been doing. The facility (YogaWorks) has finally opened at the end of August so it's nice to be at a studio where yoga is the thing to do! They also have an area where you can meditate, so it's right up my ally!

My dad is coming to visit for about 8 days... you guessed it, he will be supporting me for my next MRI. Hopefully, he'll be the one that throws me a party when the results come back perfect... maybe those darn dots are gone! Or, I'll take it if they're just the same. I have to start setting up a 'to do' list for Bobby when he's here: probably walking the dogs, painting my master bathroom and of course doing something fun with me and Charlie like GOLFING! I am not 100% hooked yet, but I'll get there.

Oh, by the way, Charlie is the guy that I have been dating and I haven't mentioned that yet... I just didn't want to get you guys all excited in case things didn't work for Charlie and I. He doesn't know a ton of details in terms of what I am going through (cancer and chemo wise) but he knows some minor details but hasn't asked me any more questions... he'll ask me when he wants to know what's going on with me. We're just about at our 6 month anniversary (Oct 15th if you can believe that). So, hopefully that day will be a great day: good MRI and Happy 6 month Anniversary! Oh, and just so you know... he's only 5'4'!!!!!!!!

That's it for now... I don't have much time to type and proofread what I've written these days, so I'm sorry if there are spelling errors!

Love you guys!

Debbie
Charlie and Debbie pre Red Sox game sweep!

Debbie and Jodi

Radar and Nala "sitting pretty"
Red Sox line up: Game 3 Vs Angels

Cool flag they had during the Spangled Banner







12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for moving past the colon cleansing posting. Great pictures of everyone . . . especially the dogs! Just the other day my boys were talking about how they missed Nala. I'll have to get everyone out to CA this winter when things start getting COLD here. Good luck on Monday and have fun with Dad. We'll be thinking about you here.

Anonymous said...

Just an FYI... I should know today if I am getting laid off... so, I will let you guys know if I receive a lovely pink slip!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Okay guys...... I still have a job! Whew, huh? Who needs more stress? NOT ME!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

It's great to hear that you still have a job! That must be a big relief for you. Aside of all the red tape crap, health insurance is a beautiful thing! It's also nice to finally be able to put a face to Charlie's name. He's cute! :)
Best of luck with the next MRI! You're on my list of prayer people. And have fun with your dad.
Love ya!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

So, a man in your life that comes up to your waist. Awesome. So if you still have a scalp scar, it won't really matter to him. Way to pick em! Seriously - congrats on 6 months. And just WAIT till BABs sees the pics of the Red Sox game. She's gonna just flip out with envy. You're looking fabulous, as usual, and so are Nala and Radar. Charlie is a cutie too, but he's not sitting pretty like Radar....Gotta train him better.
Good to hear you still have a job! Nobody needs stress like that.
Love Ya Deb!
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

Great news on the job...one less thing to worry about now! Best of luck with the MRI, we're glad Bob will be there to support you and celebrate with you, too! We can't wait to hear the news and will be thinking about you all weekend. Great photos, by the way... Take care and talk to you soon.

Love, Dan, Mary, Logan & Popcorn

Anonymous said...

Debbie Debbie Debbie,
How on earth could you NOT tell ME about the man? I'm a little disappointed , I think I may need more details than that!:) and he's cute! You go girl....hmmmm, he's my height...ha ha ha!!!!
How could you not say that you were glad to not have to sleep in a tent....you do remember our great camping episode, don't you...you , me, amy and marianne? How lame we were putting up the tent with no hammer/mallet...we had to use a rock, trying to pop popcorn, and all the rain and stuff? Don't make me have a picture of it posted....cuz I do have a couple :)
Glad to hear you have a job...you're right, right now insurance is most important...I agree...especially since I do not have any myself :( anyway, hope you have a great time with your dad and my thoughts and prayers and fingers will be crossed for you for monday, as always!
Love ya,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Deb,
I'm 5'2.5"; I swear Charlie is shorter than I am! Good luck on Monday, your always in my thoughts.
Ant

Anonymous said...

Deb,
I haven't been leaving you notes until now, but have been keeping you in my prayers. I'm so glad to hear about how well you're doing!
Strangely enough, I just learned that my best friend's cousin has been diagnosed with Glioblastoma. When I told her about your success story she begged me to get more information about the course of treatment. Could you possibly send me some information to pass along?
Thanks so much,
Jeanne Manganello (still at my Pfizer address)

Anonymous said...

Ant, maybe you're taller than Charlie since you wear heels? Although, I guess he should have been a jockey instead of a project manager :-) You know how much I like horses!!!

Jeanne, nice to hear from you! Sorry to hear about your friend's cousin... I figure that it'd be best if you can send me your pfizer email (incase you have a middle initial in that email address!)

My email: mustlovebriards@yahoo.com

Go Red Sox! I can't resist to talk about the Sox!!!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Debbie,
Both Brendan and I were reading today and are thrilled to hear you still have a job and are doing so well! ; )
We know your MRI will be *perfect* tomorrow!
Sending love & best wishes,
Alicyn & Brendan

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
We just got back from vacation and read your update. So good to know you still have your job. That's a worry you don't need. Sounds like you are doing great. Nice to finally see a picture of Charlie. Sixth month anniversary Congratulations!!! Larry is cheering along with you for the Red Soxs. We are always thinking of you and you are in our prayers. Positive energy coming your way for tomorrows MRI. Great pictures of Jodi,Nala and Radar. Miss all of you. Tell your Dad hello from us. Talk to you soon.
Love, larry and Priscilla