Friday, October 26, 2007

Deb's Update: October 26, 2007 9:15 AM PT

Hi All,

I have finally found the time to sit down and write a blog update. I have been busy as hell these days and have decided to give myself some "down time"... I need it!

As you already know, my last MRI was a good one! Phew!!!!! I'm sure you can imagine the stress that my body had for 4 weeks between the last two MRIs. I was so happy that my dad decided to come out here to spend some time with me and of course come to the MRI and doc appointment with me for support. I think my dad was just as stressed as I was but the minute we found out it was a good MRI, it eased both of our stress! I almost cried hearing that it was a good MRI....instead, I made the neuro-onc doc stand up so I could give him a big hug! I think it shocked him but hey, it's what worked for me!!! I will get back on my previous MRI schedule so my next one is Nov 13th.

Monday , Oct 22nd I finished Cycle 9 of chemo... I look at it this way: 9 cycles down and only 15 to go! Not much different than the usual in terms of side effects... slight headache, sinus pressure feeling and of course, constipation! I know you guys like me to talk about bowel movements don't you!? :-)


November 12th will be my yearly anniversary of being a cancer survivor... I'm keeping the faith that you will hear the same thing next November! This anniversary I intend to send an anniversary type card to Dr. Yu (my Cedars-Sinai Neurosurgeon) and Anne (his nurse practitioner)! Why not, right???

Dad's visit was nice and calm... he did some work of course, but it felt good to have a family member out here for a week. No golf since it actually rained a bit when he was out here! Neither of us could believe it, but it gave us both some nap time and some time to watch some pre-world series baseball games... it was great for him since according to the time clock, he didn't have to stay up until 1:30 in the morning to watch the entire game :-)

He left one week ago and the Sunday after he left is when the CA winds started and that's when the So Cal fires began... I'm sure you all know that there are fires all over the place in Southern Cal right now.
Some are already contained yet some are not fully contained. From Sunday on, it's been an ashy/hazy sky and hot! Not a good combination. When the fires are blowing the ashes around, it basically means: stay in your house, windows shut and no AC on even though it's almost 90 degrees! Not fun for me or the dogs. My house didn't seem to get too hot, but it's not fun to do NOTHING outside. No walks for the dogs after Sunday night... Today I can actually take them for a nice walk since the air quality outside is better.

My neighborhood was out of power for most of the entire day that Sunday when the winds began. Even one of the electric wires sparked and ended up falling down on my driveway! So, of course the electric company had to come here to fix the three poles that weren't that happy (one just sparking, one actually on fire a little and the other that was sliced off by the wind and came down on my driveway)... My house was obviously affected and I have to basically put in a claim for the things that were surged and ruined (television, router, vacuum cleaner, water fountain, dining room ceiling light/fan, thermostat, sprinkler system and my AC). So, it'll be lots of estimates to get some of these things fixed... I'm thinking I will probably find more things that were ruined.

I actually had to call the electric company AGAIN this Wednesday since I was having light flickering in my house! Not a good thing. In a nutshell, the guys that supposedly fixed the power, didn't cover the neutral wire which had sparked and obviously was affecting my house. Hopefully this will all be solved after I get the claims sent in and hopefully approved. So, here's another nutshell... I've had to just listen to the Red Sox and NOT WATCH THEM the past two days.

Tuesday night this past week I went to Pantages Theater to see Wicked! I thought it was a great musical so I would highly recommend it to anyone that likes the Wizard of Oz... my favorite song was the "Popular" song! I actually find myself singing the few words I know from that song when I'm walking around my house... I can't do that in public as people would think I'm crazy! Those who have see Wicked will know the song and will probably giggle when they know I'm walking around singing it!!!!

I was supposed to go to San Francisco this weekend to see Joann for a night before she headed back to CT and then spend the weekend with Ant and Paul. But..... I decided I was too exhausted and needed 'down time' to slow myself down. Ant and Paul had called me and wanted me to reconsider going since there was a surprise: Donna was coming out to San Fran for the visit as well!!!. But, I had to decline since I need to do what my body tells me to do.... "stay home and slow down and get some sleep". This was a very tough decision since I would have loved to see everyone, but it's what I had to do.

That's it for now... next time I'll have to post pictures of what's been going on around here these days.

Love you guys!
Debbie

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie!! So good to hear some news from you. Enjoy a relaxing and restful weekend you deserve it after all you have gone through lately. You are in our thoughts daily. We miss you. Love, Priscilla and Larry

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb!
I was sooo bummed that you weren't able to come up to San Francisco this weekend. I was really looking forward to seeing you. But, you are right, you need to do what is best for you and your health. So, we'll just have to do it another time. Ant, Paul and I had a great time the entire weekend! It truely was a great visit!
I've seen Wicked and it is a fantastic musical! I tried reading the book after seeing it and I have to say that I wasn't a big fan of it. The musical has been around here for at least 1 1/2 years and is still doing well, so that speaks volumes for it as a show.
I hope you were able to watch the last of the World Series games on your TV rather than listenting to them on the radio. I was in the air for the last game, but our pilot kept us updated on it. The whole plane was so excited when he told us they won!
I hope to talk to you soon. Take care!
Love ya!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Deb,
You must be on cloud 9 with the big win by the Red Sox...whenever I watch a bit of them, I always think of you.....You gotta slow it down girlfriend....take care of you..first!!!! Sooooo I have a great costume idea for you and Charlie......popeye and olive oil...remember you used to always say you resembeled her...tall, thin, dark hair....and Charlie...well, he's on the short side....don't know about the musCles???? I saw on tv that "couple" old time costumes are a big hit this year.....I'm gonna be one of the "girls" from deal or no deal....Joey will be howie, another friend is the banker and his wife is another "girl" it's cute I guess!
Glad to hear you're doing so well, my sis ran into maryann wanio (married now with 2 kids still living cape area) she asked about you my sis said...just thought you would like to know....anyway, keep up the great work!!!
Love ya,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Larry and Priscilla,
I'm always glad to hear you guys supporting me... I sure do miss having you as my neighbors. I can't wait to see pictures of what you've recently done to your house... Larry, you know that's something for you to do... you're the picture taker! You can send them to me on my yahoo email address.

Donna,
I wish I could have been there to see you, but if it's of any help... I thankfully feel back to my "normal" self again. I needed the social break big time! But, glad to hear you all had fun... I was feeling bad that I didn't come up there :-(

Nikki,
I think you are right about Olive Oil and Popeye but don't you remember that in my HS year book I put in there that one of my pet peeves was "Olive Oil"? Remember that's what the Coach Rod used to call me when I was a javelin thrower? You know how much I hate being skinny! Oh, but Charlie has musCles. I think you have to if you're a shorty :-)

One thing I wish I could do tomorrow would be to see the Red Sox parade in Boston... I'm dying to see Papalbon do his Scottish dancing...

Anonymous said...

Debster - Good to know you haven't gone up in smoke out there. Gotta watch that West Coast. I guess you pay for all that warm weather with some of the other nasty things. And for the love of God woman - slow the pace...BREATHE and relax.
Here's an alternative Halloween costume for you - you go as a boy scout and have Charlie go as an old woman. OR why don't YOU go as Popeye and have Charlie go as Olive? Even better.
Hey - Congrats on the Red Sox! fabulous sweep.
Keep Rockin!
Love ya.
Mol

Anonymous said...

I just knew that MRI was going to come back clean!!! Good to know you are always going to be a Massachusetts girl rooting for the Sox. Sort of weird to have the win come so easy, isn't it? Mark is here and says hello. Since you brought up constipation (you know how I love to talk crap), Pfizer switched brands and got rid of the "high test" coffee. I suspect there is raging constipation amongst the employees. I was telling someone the other day about when Betty switched us from java city to ritazza and pretty much colon cleansed all of Building 260.

~Jess

Anonymous said...

Is Betty still wondering why nobody liked the larger size of ritazza coffee? Perhaps you will need to tell her all about the colon cleansing!

Say HI to Mark for me...

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Today is November 7th. This marks Debbie's one year anniversary of her new life. In the military they call certain days that change your life forever your "alive day". Alive day is where you were face with death and over came of obstacles to survive. Well, today is your 1 year "alive day" anniversary.

I will never forget how fast I got to your house to get you to the ER. I will never forget those surreal words the doctor said or having to make the dreaded call to your mom & family & to my parents to come to the ER too. I walked out of your ER room with the nurse and cried in the nurses station. One year ago my life changed because of your "alive day". Our friendship grew, I learned so much about GBM and now I am a reference for so many patients at my cancer center because of knowing you and what you have gone through in the past year.

So not to make this any more sappier then it is, I look forward to many, many more years of crazy and fun friendship with you.

Thank you for being you and being here today. I love you my dear friend!

So here's to one more year of ass kicking Temodar, Kytril, funky gooey yellow stuff and many years of life!

Statistically, you just beat the odds! wooohoooo

Kimmie :o)

Anonymous said...

I miss Betty!! There is truly no equivalent to Betty on the New London campus. The large size was the equivalent of an enema!

Anonymous said...

Kimmie,
I don't know you, but I just wanted to tell you how much your post touched me....I have known deb forever and she is the only person from my jr/high school years that I even keep in touch with anymore.....she is a GREAT person, and deserves the best, and you seem to be that! Thank you so much for being there for deb and being such a great friend to her and for reminding us all of how far she has come! It's nice to know that there are people out there like YOU!....
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Deb's MRI results from yeserday not good,she has a recurrent tumor in her left frontal lobe.She will be placed on a new chemo drug starting this Thursday.The tumor measures approx 1.0cm x .5.Keep her in your prayers she needs us now more then ever....Deb's mom

Anonymous said...

I will write a blog update today most likely... lots of emotions going on right now but I will give you as many details as I can.

I am completly shocked but will continue to be a fighter.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Give em hell Deb. We're all still fighting with you.
Mol