Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Deb’s Update: December 20, 2006 8:15 AM P.S.T.

So far this week Monday has been awful! I was basically vomiting and wasn't able to eat or even drink anything. That sucked! So, I pretty much laid on the couch, slept and watched HGTV all day. You know me, I love to watch that channel with the house stuff in case I need to learn how to do something to MY house!!! I know, I need to relax and not try to come up with the next plan of what to do in the house, but you know me, I can't give up!

Tuesday was okay. I had an appointment with the surgeon at Cedar Sinai for a follow-up and hopefully a removal of the two stitches they put back on the top of my head for the scar. The scar wasn't that good looking when they took the staples off so they stitched it back up. Of course they say I am allowed to wash it so I'm okay with the two blue stitches! I actually wore a nice outfit (of course!) and put on just eye make-up before my trip to Beverly Hills/Hollywood so believe me, Dr. Yu thought I was very healthy looking! Funny... One bad thing.... I threw up twice in the car on the way there so I was pissed that I was going to be sick that day too! However, after vomiting #2, I felt better so I decided that after I took the chemo (at 8 AM) and waited the hour (per the instructions!) that I would try a bagel without cream cheese or anything else on it. I ate a third of it just to make sure it didn't make me sick.

Since I didn't get sick with the bagel, I decided I'd try to eat a small amount of stuff at a time so the next fabulous item: A bowl of Pfish food ice-cream from Ben and Jerrys. YUMMY!!! No nausea.... so, I was very happy about that! Next, I told my dad I wanted a taco from Taco Bell on our way home from my radiation... so, I just got one soft taco without anything major on it... another YUMMY! Plus, no nausea!!! So, I ate Chinese food that came the night before during dinner... success! No more vomiting yesterday. I am hopeful that today will be the same. So, as soon as I can eat (1 hour after chemo that I don't take until 8 AM) it's a Ray's Bagel time!!! I love those bagels... You should try them if you never have, you won't be sorry. Check them out in the freezer section of the grocery store. You cook them in the oven for 7 minutes and the outside is crunchy with the inside being soft and warm! YUM...

This past weekend was good too. I was feeling great actually. Maybe because I didn't have both chemo and radiation.... just chemo on the weekends. I actually did some stuff in the house to put things away and organize my closet in my bedroom. My dad helped of course so we were able to put together the shoe rack and organize all of the shoes. Much success since they were all over the floor in my closet! We also brought lots of stuff either out to the garage for storage or the trash for removal from me! Felt good, believe me. I feel good today so I think I'll figure out what we can do today. I really feel like the house needs to be organized since it was never happened officially because I only lived here for about 3 weeks before my hospitalization. Of course, since I wasn't feeling well, not much had been done during those 3 weeks.

I am also trying to figure out if I can actually have my dad clean the house! That may not be a possibility so I will probably order a cleaning lady to do that sometime soon. It's time, believe me!!!

After today's radiation at 2:45 I will be meeting with the Radiation Oncologist to talk about how it is going. I will also make him finally give me the name of the Oncologist that I will see here weekly as well. Of course it'll be that person that'll be sure to make me get a weekly lab and will review the lab results to make sure they're okay. I will need to go all the way back to Cedar Sinai next week as well so that Dr. Yu can take the stitches out and see me again. I think they are interested in staying in touch with me so I can join their study (after the 6.5 weeks of radiation) which has to do with new Glioblastoma subjects. The basic purpose of that study is to determine whether vaccination with my own immune cells (called dendritic cells) can activate my immune system to fight my glioblastoma area. They will be adding proteins to my dendritic cells and giving them back to me by re-injecting them in my body. I am hopeful to participate in this trial since it is interesting.

Since the next update won't be until after Christmas, I want to wish everyone a great Christmas! My dad will still be here so I can spend that holiday with a family member. I will be heading to Kimmy's parents (who I call my California Mom and Dad since they are great!) on Christmas Eve to enjoy a dinner and good company. On Christmas day, Dad and I are finally going to cook dinner for Cliff and Christina (my stepbrother and his wife who live out here about 25 minutes from me). Hopefully it'll turn out okay. I plan on using my Crock Pot... those of you who know me big time knows that I can really use that Crock Pot successfully!!! Of course Cliff said he will bring lasagna as well... He's probably worried!

Anyway, Merry Christmas!! Thank-you all again for your support, it's keeping me going with a positive attitude.

Debbie

8 comments:

Friends of Deb said...

You know, Ray does make a damn fine bagel!

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb!
So glad to hear from you! Have you stopped taking the anti-nauseau pill? I'm interested in knowing what chemo pill you take as my mom took some a few years back and they really seemed to work for her. Knowing you, (and having Big Bob there to help,) your house will be organized in no time at all. By the way, which email address should I be using? Bigdeb or mustlovebriards? God bless you for having the energy to write out Christmas cards! You are really someone to look up to. Have a great Christmas and I look forward to hearing from you again after the holiday. Take care!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Deb,

You are too funny...you must have been so mad hurling in your car :) anyway, I'm glad to hear that your nausea has pretty much subsided, that's great!!!! Glad to hear Bubby (remember you used to call your dad that?) is back at home with you too. I'm planning on sending you, via email, some pics of mya...I did promise you, I just have sooooo many that I have to be very selective....you know how it is! Hope you have a wonderful holiday, I will be thinking of you!!!..........will have to try that bagel :) Love ya lots.
Love,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb nice to see your up and looking at the Blog.

SOrry you were feeling yucky!.. hang in there girly and keep strong you can "DO IT!" Cant wait to visit you!

Laura
COH

Anonymous said...

Debbie;
Just be glad that I am not cooking chicken for you in my pyrex dish!
I can tell you that dedritic cells are amazing little things and if they give a booster to those little buggers they will do awesome things for you.
Maybe your Dad would like a "blooming onion" for a sidedish?
Love Patti

Anonymous said...

Good grief, Deb. How many fast food stops can one person actually make on the way home from the hospital? And how many ethnic food specialties? Mexican, Chinese, (bagels are sort of ethnic) and Ben and Jerry's is just great American goodness. Glad you're doing OK with the chemo and radiation. I support the entire mullet haircut thing - although I think a punk cut would be really cool, and you could get one of those radiation symbols tattooed on the side of your head. Whaddya think?
Stay strong.
Mol

Unknown said...

Hi,

After reading your update, I'm suddenly really, really hungry. I'll have to try those bagels. I hope you have figured out the cure to your nauseau - sounds like the beginning of your week was pretty rough! Anyways, have a very Merry Christmas -and good luck with the cooking (Lasagna is always a good back up)

Take Care
Galynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb - I have been keeping up with you and love to read your writings. Hang in there girl. Eat on! Have a wonderful holiday season.
Annette Brown - COH