Thursday, December 28, 2006

Deb Update: 12/28/2006; 2:00 PM E.S.T.

I hope everyone had a great holiday and has some nice plans for New Years Eve! My dad and I spent Christmas Eve at my CA parents' house (the Gilfillans). It was a really nice time, great food and of course we played Uno (I'm hooked since I was playing that often while I was in the hospital!). On Christmas day my stepbrother Cliff and his wife Christina came over and we had a nice time... good conversations and food!

Last week was tough for nausea (and sometimes vomiting) but I finally decided that I would stop taking the Kytril (the anti-nausea pill) since it didn't seem to stop the throwing up or nausea! So, since each day was different I have tried to come up with the possible reason that I had nausea... interestingly enough I came up with a reason that my radiation oncologist agreed with: eating too much food for dinner the night before, I can have major nausea in the next day after chemo and breakfast! So, as you can imagine, since I had been eating holiday food/major meals, that probably made me have my morning nausea! So, I basically have started grazing all day and have not had any nausea for the past 3 days... YEAH!!!

I just took Day 15 of my chemotherapy so I'm now on week 3... I basically don't have any major side effects (now that I am eating correctly) which is good. I guess each week may be different as I get more into the treatment but my hope is that nausea doesn't come back! Basically it may be my fatigue and energy that may get decreased...but maybe I will look normal to the doctors since they don't know that my energy is 3 times the normal person!

I am also on week 3 of radiation therapy as well. I meet with Dr. Ahn (radiation oncologist) once per week to talk about how I'm doing as we are deeper into the treatment. Interestingly enough we met yesterday and I learned that I could still eat major sized meals for dinner! Here's the way to do it in his opinion: Have the Kytril one hour before the night meal and also take it before the chemo in the morning. So, on New Years Eve, I may just try that since it's a good night to eat!!! Stay tuned... Another interesting topic that we talked about was hair loss due to the radiation. He asked if I had that, I said "NO" and he was happy... his concern is that it may happen because my dose of radiation is very intense (most likely because I'm young and can handle it). I was thrilled that I am doing that right too..... until last night! I was starting to feel some soreness on my scalp in a few areas (behind and below both ears near my neck and also just above my left ear near the scar). It basically feels like it used to feel when I had my hair/head french braided! BUT........ I started to touch is and rub it and I had quite a few pieces of hair come out into my hand! Ugghhh.... I'm hoping that the hair loss stays in that area only. Stay tuned...

So, I am wondering if any of you think I may look good in a mohawk if I lose lots of side head hair!? I'm not thinking so, but I guess it'd be good out here since it's not as cold as Connecticut!

Another tough thing that has happened since I wrote the last list is that my Gram passed away yesterday. She was 94 years old and was an amazing grandma (my father's mother)! She had been having dialysis for about a year but was doing pretty well for her age. Unfortunately she had a major stroke on Dec 24th morning/afternoon and her left side was affected. She was put in the hospital and was not in any pain but was having a difficult time talking due to the stroke as well. Yesterday she passed away in her sleep which is what she always hoped would happen since it is a peaceful way to pass on.

On a positive note... my friend Al is here from Connecticut since my dad has gone home. Dad was done with his 6 week visit so it's nice for him to head home. So far Al has made the living room ottoman that I was going to make and now asks what else is on his list of things he can do for me! The worst part is I have put "paint my bedroom furniture" on the list.... that's a major list item!!! He has always helped me paint stuff in my CT house so I am confident that it's not that bad :-) I'm hoping that the Feng Shui lady will like the paint job that he does! She'll be back as soon as I finish the list of things she wanted me to change so that she can finish Feng Shui-ing the house...stay tuned.

Here's hoping that 2007 is a good year! I wish you all a wonderful New Years Eve.... my plan is to go to Disneyland here in CA (if I'm feeling good...) so I'll probably have some good stories after that if it happens. From the bottom of my heart, thank-you all for your continued support... it's truly amazing and helpful to me!

Debbie

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debbie I am so glad that it seems for the most part your doing so well, and that Christmas with calif. family went well. I hope you go to Disneyland and have a blast... your the strongest person I knw you keep going and I have faith in you!!!

Laura
COH

Anonymous said...

Hi Folks,
This is Debbie's brother, Jimmy. I just wanted to add some detail to the passing of our grandmother. I've included her obituary, below, so that those who knew her can have the opportunity to pay their respects. Thanks again for all the support!


Viola (Backstrom) Reardon

Visitation: Tuesday, January 2, 2007, 5-8 PM

Service: Wednesday, January 3, 2007, 10:00 AM

At: Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, Brockton, MA

Viola (Backstrom) Reardon aged 94 years of Mattapoisett, MA died Wednesday, December 27, 2006 at St. Luke’s Hospital in New Bedford, MA after a brief illness. She was the wife of the late Stuart F. Reardon.

Born Thursday, August 15, 1912 in Brockton, MA she was the daughter of the late Charles Backstrom and the late Anna (Johansen) Backstrom.

Viola was educated in Brockton Schools and had lived in Brockton until moving to Mattapoisett 25 years ago. She was an active member and volunteer at the Mattapoisett COA and is a member of the First Evangelical Lutheran Church in Brockton.

She is survived by two sons Robert S. Reardon and his wife Elizabeth of Marion, MA and Bruce M. Reardon of Mattapoisett; four grandchildren Daniel R. Reardon, Amy R. Doherty, Deborah L. Reardon and James S. Reardon; 6 great-grandchildren; a sister Lynnea Worral of FL; a niece and a nephew. She was also the sister of the late Hilma Nieminem, Olympia Dodd, Lillian Smith , Elizabeth Littlefield and Axel Backstrom.

A funeral service will be held on Wednesday, January 3, 2007 at 10:00 AM in the Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, 647 Main St. Brockton, MA. Interment will follow in Melrose Cemetery in Brockton. Visitation will take place on Tuesday, January 2, 2007 from 5-8 PM in the Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, 647 Main St. Brockton, MA.

Arrangements are by the Dahlborg-MacNevin Funeral Home, 647 Main St. Brockton, MA

Anonymous said...

Deb,

I am so glad that you are updating the blog on a regular basis - your posts are rich in detail and really give us all a flavor of what and how you are doing - thanks for contuing to share these intimate details - it helps people who are far away remain close despite the geography.
I am so sorry about your grandmother, I know you guys were especially close -
The picture of you dancing togeher is terrific - big old smiles on both of your faces.
The hair question is an interesting one - I'm not sure that anyone can carry off a mohawk, but suspect that you would come closer than most - hats are good - I'm reminded of the hat with the catchy cancer phrase that was menitoned in a previous posting......:)
Happy New Year Deb - and in spite of everthing, indeed it is - 2007 is most definitely yours!

Best,
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Oh my, I'm sooo sorry to hear about Gramma, I know how close you were to her. She was a great lady (I do remember her well!!)
On a little bit of a lighter note, I think you should opt for a mullet :) ha ha ha, you're so funny, if you do it, you gotta get it on film, even if it's only for an hour! I'm glad to hear that your nausea thing has been figured out (you hope!!) I think about you every single day and wish I could come to visit...you stay as strong as you have been, 2007 will be YOUR year Deb....believe it!!!! Love you lots, Happy New Year!
Love,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

Deb,
I'm glad to hear you're getting the nausea under some control. Leave it to you to want to figure that out and get it out of the way! I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, I know you were close, you always talked about her. My thoughts on the mohawk go for it, just long enough to take a picture and send to us. Happy New Year Deb, 2007 is your year and remember beyond every cloud there is a rainbow. Have fun at Disneyland!!

Love you lot's
Mary

Anonymous said...

Deb, I'm so happy to hear that you're getting things figured out and feeling a little better with the nauseasness. I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother. Is she the one we went and played BINGO with or was that you're other grandmother? It was a long time ago, and my memory isn't that great these days. (I try and blame things like that at on "baby brain") We just finished painting our diningroom, hallway, and one of our bathrooms. I wonder what your Feng-Shui lady would say about the colors we picked. About your hair....I say have some fun with it! Mohawk, mullet,whatever, just take lots of pictures and post them so we can enjoy them too. I hope you had fun last night ringing in the new year. I pray that this year will bring you nothing but better health and happiness. Take care!
Donna

Anonymous said...

Mohawks are overdone - my son had a green one for a while, then dyed it red. Since he's only 3 inches taller than you, I'm bored with that. What I'm thinking for you would be one of those Statue of Liberty do's - with each spike a different color. I know I suggested the Mohawk, but unless you agree to the radiation and biohazard tattoos for the sides, it'd just be a waste.....

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Debbie. I know that your amazing spitit will overcome this thing. You are just like your Grandma 8)
I am so glad to hear about you going to Disneyland.
If you are still experiencing this nausea & vomitting ask your Drs. about the Aloxi, it is supposed to be the very very best new agent on the market for N/V. Love Patti

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,

Happy New Year!

I am very sorry to hear of your Gram's passing. What a blessing though that she passed in her sleep, peacefully.

I am happy to hear that you seem to have the nausea under control. Thanks for taking the time to update the blog. It is so great to know what is going on. Randy, Gryffin and I continue to pray for you and send you are most positive thoughts. Here is to a fantastic 2007!!!