Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Deb's Update: May 27th, 2008: 20:00 EST

Hi All,

I just wanted to give you an update on to what sorts of things have been going on with me since the last update I wrote...

My chemo combo of Avastin/CPT-11 continued to be difficult and it basically kept me in bed from Day 1 through Day 4... lots of nausea and fatigue. I'm sure you can imagine that watching too much Jerry Springer and Maury was not fun!!! Of course since further progression has occurred I have been started on a new combination: Avastin/Carboplatin.

The new combination has similar side effects but they will last longer since the Carboplatin chemo is only dosed every 4 weeks instead of every two like CPT-11 was. So, stay tuned as to how this one hits me. In addition to the side effects, my attitude has to push forward to continue to fight.

My next MRI is on June 16th. The support that my family has for me is amazing. They have all decided to come out to CA to be with me during the next MRIs... The next one, my mother is coming for a week. I am so excited to have her here so we can connect at a deeper level.

On a social side of things... when my sister was here for the last MRI, we went to another musical: "Mama Mia"! This was one that both of us had seen but it was a happy and funny one to see the day before my MRI! In addition, we went to Nordstrom to get me some new bras! I thought that would make you laugh... but think of it this way, it's always good to get measured by a truly trained bra lady! I'll leave it at that :-)

I'm still going to the yoga studio to remain calm... I'm also still meditating about 75% of the time depending on how I feel in the morning! I have continued to walk the dogs if the weather isn't too hot! As you can see, I really haven't added much fun stuff to my "downtime"...

I'm still out of work as I continue to fight this GBM cancer! Keep your hearts strong for me and I'll take both fingers and toes crossed too!!!!

One last thing: as I get closer to my family/friend visit in July, keep a lookout for the directions to the Portsmouth, RI (July 5th) party... You are all welcome to come :-)

Love you lots!!!!

Debbie

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "truly trained bra lady"???
Is that like the one Zamparo went to that put her in a size JJJ that cost more than my car payment? I'm bummed that the chemo is forcing you to watch Springer. That's a side effect I haven't seen reported yet, but I'll continue monitoring.
Hope to see you in NE during your tour.
Mol

Anonymous said...

It must not have seen the same bra lady as Joanne went to! If it was, I would have been a "D" ...

No Springer talk show for me today... I'm going to finish reading my book "Life Is Short- Wear Your Party Pants". It's very inspirational and funny which is a good combo!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Deb,
Thanks for the update, and thanks to your sis for her post as well, I am attempting to get to NE for your tour! At least Springer has got to make you laugh :) It's great to know you have friends and family to be there with you a lot of the time. Did I tell you my mom sent me some pics of us from our Junior prom.....talk about funny!!! I will keep everything on my body that is crossable crossed! You are always in my thoughts and prayers! Miss you.
Love,
nikki

Anonymous said...

Debster,

All body appendages crossed here....praying for your ongoing full recovery. Keep up the fight. You have amazing strength....we all know this about you.....just want to make sure you get reminded of this from time to time. In the midst of it all, you keep us all smiling with your great attitude and sense of humor. Keep up the good work with getting the rest you need and using your down time to meditate. We are in Mercury Retrograde now, so keep that in mind...time for re-visiting old stuff, and trust that life in general could be chaotic for at least a little while. You are not alone. I hope to see you in Portsmouth on 7/5.

Tomorrow is my last day as a permanent employee at this job...then I am contracting here for emergencies until they shut down operations at the end of June. Why I offered to be so nice to them, I HAVE NO IDEA. Nightmarish scenes here trying to wrap up and transition projects back to our clients.... My new job starts June 9th at Vertex. I wonder if I will have the strength to deal with these emergencies in the evenings....we shall see.

Beacons from the East,
Bea

Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you - hoping for good news on the 16th- let us know!

Love- Galynn

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
Sorry to hear about the fatigue/nausea keeping you bedridden (although you know I do secretly find your side effect reports really useful/interesting!), but I am glad to hear you have such great family support for the next 2 MRIs. I am glad Bea told you Mercury was in retrograde - we should be especially effected as it is during our birthday's - speaking of which, only 2 days to go for you! Stay tough, and I cannot wait to see you during your visit!
xxxooo
Alicyn

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Debbie!!!!!! I hope you have a fantastic birthday today, and are able to go out and celebrate it with good food and friends. I can't wait to see you while you're out here on the east coast for your visit next month.
Always thinking about you and praying for you.
Love ya!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Deb!!! Hope you do something that you enjoy today...it's all about YOU!!! Not sure if I'll be able to make your tour next month, but I'm trying! Have a wonderful day today......EAT SOME CHOCOLATE!!!!!
Love ya lots,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

HBD Debbie - who better than you?

Anonymous said...

Belated by a couple of days...but wishing you a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Wishing you all good things for the coming year, Debbie.

Feels like a song is in order.... Anyone up for writing a song?

Beacons,
Bea

Amy DiRico said...

Deb, We will all be thinking about you today and sending positive energy. We love you and can;t wait to see you in July.
Love, The posse.