Monday, May 07, 2007

Deb’s Update: May 7, 2007 8:15 AM PST

Hi All,

I just realized that time is flying and I hadn't written an update in almost two weeks! Bad, bad, bad for me, huh?

Obviously I have been doing much better on this last cycle (cycle #3) of the Temodar... I always start to wonder why it was so good: hhhhmmmm? Is it the Reiki, is it eating the lemon squares, is it because I gained about 2 lbs, is it that I am doing more social stuff, is it because I can now do gardening little by little since it's warmer, or is it because I take more vitamins? See, there are many things that make me wonder. But, of course it could be because my body is getting used to the dose, the schedule, etc...

It seems as though I was definitely not nauseous, had much less fatigue and could walk the dogs even on the chemo days! On Thursday (mid-cycle) the dogs and I headed out to Ventura to say "good-bye" to Cliff... He has headed back to the East coast to live in RI closer to family (he and Christina are expecting their baby in July so I'm sure Betty is glad they will be 'home'). The dogs sure had a good time headed out to dinner with Cliff and me! There was a Mexican restaurant right on the beach where we could bring the dogs to since we were sitting outside. Of course Radar and Nala were very happy when people stopped by to pet them... You guessed it, Radar even goosed a lady or two ;-) Plus, after dinner they loved to walk the beach (the RAN/SPRINTED off leash actually while we walked!). In addition, I went out to the Melting Pot for dinner on the last chemo day (Saturday)... I'm guessing that if my body let the fondue cheese, meat/seafood and fruit/chocolate settle in I was doing perfectly much better than the last cycle! I couldn't even just drink a puree carrot soup the last cycle on the final dosing day!

I have started to definitely add some protein shakes (made with soy milk of course!) to my calories since that was a suggestion made by the nutritionist... I'm hoping that she will think that I have added some 'good' stuff to my eating list :-) Tomorrow is my monthly appointment with the nutritionist so we'll have to see how she thinks I am doing... I had to list exactly what I was eating on days I was hungry, days I wasn't and definitely days I was taking chemo. So, she will be calculating all of the calories, carbs, protein, fat, etc... and we'll see what she thinks! I'll let you guys know if I need some new snacks! Alicyn happened to send me a website that has some healthy snacks on it, so she has kindly ordered me some.... we'll see how much I am loving them as I start to eat 'em!!!! I have finally started to bake my own lemon bars but they sure aren't as good as the ones that Joann can bake! I'm soooo not a good cook... :-( Thankfully, Hillary understands that one and comes over and brings me lunch here and there... She came last week and we had a great lunch (Subway subs!), ask Radar, he'll tell you how nice she is! He sure does continue to goose her and put his head under her armpit to make her laugh! It sure does make me laugh too which is a good thing...

I have an appointment with Dr. Yu this Friday.... you guessed it: MY MRI!!! Thankfully Kim is able to take me again so her support is definitely needed on those MRI days. It's hard to believe that I will need one every two months... doesn't it seem like I just had one done? It's been two months already! The MRI is at 7:00 AM and my appointment with Dr. Yu is at 8:30 AM... he is the one that tells me how the MRI looks.... again, all fingers and toes are crossed that he will be stunned at how good it looks. Although it is now 6 months since my diagnosis, I'm guessing my MRI results are still good... However, I think that the MRI is the event that will always make me worry and stress me out until it's done and the results are great! Even Radar thinks I'm fine... he barely even sniffs my head anymore since he knows it's free of cancer cells! :-) Please keep me in the prayers this week and keep your fingers and toes crossed for me!!!

Thankfully while I am at Cedars-Sinai on Friday I will have my screening done for the vaccine trial! YIPPEE!!!! If the MRI is good, and all of my other inclusion criteria are perfect, then I will definitely enroll. My guess is that I will be eligible and will be getting my first vaccine next week! Can you believe it? FINALLY, huh? Of course I will give you much more detail as I am getting through the vaccine trial...

I have set up my start date for work once again... June 25th! I am hoping that I still feel good cycle after cycle, that I can't wait to start, and that I need the socialization and mental stimulation at work! I work with such great people so it'll be nice to be with them again... I will certainly keep you posted on that one.

I am headed back East for a visit with all of my friends and family that have helped me through this tough time... Here is the tentative schedule (date-wise): Leave LAX on a red-eye flight on May 30th and will land in PVD on May 31st at 10:00 AM.... next I will stay in RI with my mom until the June 2nd party for friends and family which will be in Marion, MA at the Menzel home (Thanks to Marianne's dad John!). My sister and brother will be doing the invite and I believe will put info on this blog site too... So, then I'll be in MA and will most likely stay there June 2nd through the 4th and will then head to CT to stay with the Mannings. I will be trying to do some dinners and lunches with some of my CT friends as much as I can (they know who they are and they will have to stay "tuned in" to how I'm doing and how much time/energy I will have) The Mannings will have a birthday party for me on my actual birthday (June 7th) for my CT friends so that will sure be a nice way to see everyone! On June 8th I will then be headed to Delaware to go to Jodi and John's going away party/wedding reception...Thankfully Al will be driving me down there and attending the fun event with me! On Sunday, June 10th it'll be back to CT or RI and then heading home to CA on the 11th... whew, do you think I can handle all this stuff? I am hopeful that my friends, family, etc will let me nap as I may need it... Is this enough info Nik? :-)

Okay, that's it for now.... I will send you a quick update on Friday with the MRI results (and maybe some new pictures too!).

Love you guys!

Debbie

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb,

Well, I should say so! You will be one busy girl when you're home :) it sure will be nice for everyone to see you again! Glad you're feeling soooo good! my fingers are crossed of course! Keep up your strength, you're doing unbelievable! Miss you lots.
Love,
Nikki

Anonymous said...

wow Deb - you have written an epic novel with this posting and it is all good stuff - what a great read. So happy to hear all your good news and absorb your perpetual positive attitude - you end up lifting our collective spirit instead of the other way around - good deal, that!
Will be thinking about you on MRI day and hoping and praying for continuing good news - let us know as soon as you learn anything, ok?
Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks - it will be a busy but special visit and I am sure that no one will begrudge you some down time if needed.

See you very soon.

Best always,
Barbara

Unknown said...

I just came back from the nutritionist and she is happy with how I'm doing. I have actually gained a little bit of weight and weighed 133.5 lbs today! Better than the 129 lbs a month or so ago!!! I just have to call her before I head East just to see how cycle 4 went (eating-wise). The other good news is that she thinks I am eating all (okay, most of...) the right stuff!

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Great job with the weight gain, Debbie! I thought of you today as I added an avocado and carrots to my turkey sandwich. We could all stand to eat a little better (but lose weight, of course).

Fingers are crossed for your MRI. It will be great!

See you soon.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Awesome job Debbie... looks like your putting that new scale to work. Keep up the fight we miss you here and will see ya soon.

We'll all be thinking of you Friday waiting patiently for you to post your good news...

Dan Mary & Logan

Anonymous said...

Yeah - you keep eating good crunchy granola stuff, and I'll do the eating like a freak. I got Wasabi coated peanuts and dark chocolate with hot pepper spices at Suzie Hot Sauce in New Hope, PA and have found that Beer is the perfect beverage to wash them down.
I can't WAIT for you to come home to New England. I've got to stock up on whoopie cushions, handshake buzzers, etc. to meet all these bloggers. Hopefully I'll be able to get out of work and get up there to visit. I promise not to do anything naughty to you while you're napping...
Your MRI is going to be perfect - you watch. How could it not be, what with all the witchy woman stuff you've been up to.
Love ya man!
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb!
I'm getting my mother the book Eat Right 4 Your Type. She's really interested in it, so hopefully she'll like it. When she's done with it, I think I'm going to snag it from her and reread it to refresh my memory. I'm hoping it will help her out like it seems to have done for you. You just never know what will work. I'm glad we talked the other day. I'll shoot for another nap time to give you a call. Both girls are sick this week, so naptime isn't really working for them. Their schedules are off, so maybe next week.
Molly, after reading your message about Suzie Hot Sauce, I checked out their website and am going to order some stuff for my husband. He can't get enough of the hot stuff!
Deb, I'm sure your MRI will be nothing but clean and clear. I'm still praying for you!
Take Care,
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

If you like to cook on the grill, get the chipolte garlic spice rub from Suzie Hot Sauce. Good on burgers, chicken and steaks, and not too spicy for the amateurs - just good flavor.

So that MRI is tomorrow AM?
No problem. Again, I'll sick my Southern Baptist family on it (yikes) with their prayers... and since Radar and I already know it's going to be fine, I can continue to live a blissfully happy, carefree life. I don't even NEED to sniff your head.
Love ya Deb!
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Standing by, awaiting MRI results....

Anonymous said...

Deb wanted everyone to know that #2 MRI is clear.DEB will post more this weekend. HOW GREAT IS THIS !!!!!! watch for more from Deb. Dianne Reardon

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Right on.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
I am so glad to hear the MRI was clear! We were on vacation last week so this was a treat to read! I cannot wait to see you!
xxxooo
Alicyn