Monday, November 26, 2007

Deb's Update: November 25th, 2007

Hi All,

Hope you all had a festive yet restful Thanksgiving! My Thanksgiving was great, but I will start with the medical stuff I have been through since the last blog update...

Last Tuesday I went to see Dr. Ahn (my radiation oncologist here in Thousand Oaks). I sure did have lots of questions about what my best option would be in terms of Gamma Knife vs. Stereotactic RT. Apparently, he had several discussions with UCLA to see what they felt I could have done in terms of RT. They are neuro-oncologists so they are not as keen on RT obviously.... but they knew I am interested in anything to beat this cancer to death!!! After several conversations, Dr. Ahn and Dr. Lai came to an agreement that RT would be okay but UCLA did not want Gamma Knife or stereotactic RT. They did say that the same dose of centigrays would be acceptable, but they wanted it to be done over several weeks instead of 1 to 5 days. Apparently I would have not been allowed on their clinical trials if I did the quick Gamma Knife or Stereotactic RT.

Of course, Dr. Ahn had to see the recent MRI to see exactly where the location of the tumor is. He needed to obviously compare it to the graph of exactly where they radiated me the last time to see if I was even able to get RT. So, it turned out to be kind of cool to see my brain on several computer screens that! First computer was my CT scan which was done pre-RT last December, the second computer was the graph which shows the exact area that was radiated last Dec/January and the third computer was the latest MRI. There was a slight light at the end of the tunnel when I heard that the area where the new recurrent tumor was WAS NOT radiated last year (if it received any RT last year, it was just a dusting) !!!! There was a God that day :-)

So, thankfully, I am able to get more RT (not sure what the dose will be yet) to a decent sized section of my frontal lobe just in case that damned dot from the right side of the frontal lobe would want to come back. I was honestly relieved that RT was an option since I didn't want chemo to be the only thing I could do. I sure hope that I can continue to sing and dance even after getting the frontal lobe radiated!!! You all know how much I love doing that :-)

Dr. Ahn and I discussed when I could start the RT. Because he said that it takes them about 2 weeks to get everything set up and graphed, we came to the conclusion that I would start the RT after the Dec 26th MRI (probably right after the New Years Day). I sure don't want to get RT when I am taking the CCNU chemo for several reasons: First, I didn't want to get radiated during the time when my blood counts are at their lowest and second, I want to see if the CCNU chemo is actually working. I obviously wouldn't want to go back on CCNU if it never worked to begin with.

In a bitter sweet kind of way, all of his radiation technicians were very happy to see me! I guess I must have made them laugh the last time I was radiated because I so upbeat about everything even though they are actually radiating me! I guess it is confirmed that I AM crazy, huh?

This Tuesday (the 27th) I'm off to Dr. Ahn's office to get a CT scan done so they can plan on the exact area that they will radiate. In addition, they will build my lovely mask so they can strap me down on the table again. Lovely, huh? I wonder if this time I should keep the mask and wear in on Halloween next year to be some sort of ax-murderer person like I always saw in scary movies when I was a kid!!! That's an option too, huh?

I got Reiki done last Tuesday night... Mick is such a wonderful guy that literally has a positive visualization about my brain! Weird, huh? I'm sure his visualization is different than mine... These days my visualization is that my brain is plump, pink and plush... looks a little slippery, but it sure is shiny and happy! I used to think that visualization was sort of wacky, but I'll do anything I can to get rid of this ugly tumor :-) I will continue to do Reiki weekly when I am going through this chemo and the upcoming RT. Enough discussion about brains so it's time to move on to "normal life" stuff!

Thanksgiving was much happier this year than last... and you're right Mollie, I sure did look better! I probably should have taken a picture of myself and did a before and after photo comparison on this blog site :-) I was originally going to go up to San Fran to see Ant and Paul for Thanksgiving, but thankfully they were kind enough to come here to celebrate with me in my own environment. Kim also decided to spend her Thanksgiving with me instead of her family. The support from both Kim and Ant is always amazing, so of course I couldn't say 'no' to either of them when they wanted to come here.

They did everything from preparing and cooking the entire Thanksgiving meal to cleaning up afterward. We also all decided it would be a nice thing to set up Christmas tree (a fake one of course) and to decorate my house with all of my Christmas items (from candles to napkins). I don't have that much, but it felt good to see it all around the house. The one catch was when we tried to get my fake tree out of the garage, low and behold it was not mine anymore..... it belonged to RATS!!! Yup, you heard it correctly, RATS! So, I had to throw it out and buy another fake tree. It all turned out okay once everything was done... I just thought I'd mention my newest pets for your reading pleasure!!!

All is still going well with Charlie these days... he seems to be coming more and more attached to me. That's definitely a good thing! Today's discussion was about Christmas and he wanted a list of what I wanted... Of course I always want small easy things like pajamas, maybe some new sheets, a sweater would be good, or some yoga clothes... nothing major. He was the one that thought it was too cheap so he wanted me to think of other things... So, I added a kitchen counter, a garage door, and a TV!!! We'll have to see what happens. The one scary things is that he can't seem to figure out what he needs! He buys whatever he needs so he doesn't seem to think that me buying him a spa treatment massage or getting him some golf lessons would be necessary! So, put on your Christmas gift hats folks... I'll need some advice on what to get a metro-sexual man (he does more spa treatments than I do!!!). Maybe just a weekend trip to Catalina or Santa Barbara to stay at a Bed & Breakfast???

That's it for now... time for me to get some ZZZZZZZZZZs!

From the bottom of my heart, I continue to thank you for all of your support! It means so much to me...

Love Ya, Debbie

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deb,

It is good to hear you in this upbeat post. Thanks for the update! Yes, this holiday sounds much better than last year's for you. I am so glad you are surrounded by caring friends and family. I'm glad Charlie is sticking with you and thinking about Christmas already. That is a good sign!! I'll put on my thinking cap regarding gifts....I laughed about his spa treatment habit. That is cool!!

Bright Beacons,
Bea

Anonymous said...

OK - what to get a metrosexual male....I think I'm out of my league here. Let me ask a couple of my transvestite friends for advice....although they'll probably recommend those outrageously high heeled shoes for him to even your height! Got lots to think about from this post - I now have to come up with my own visualisation of your brain, picture rats in the Christmas tree (Nightmare before Christmas style, I'm sure) come up with a gift for Luvah boy, consider what kind of person cheers up the radiation staff....
Maybe I'll just try to focus on the brain visualization and leave the rest alone. The rats are appealing though.
Love ya Deb!
Mol

Anonymous said...

Hey Deb!

I'm always amazed at your strenght! You are truly an inspiration. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya and sending you all the positive vibes possible!

All the best,
Michelle R.

Anonymous said...

Deb,
Glad to hear how positive you are! Great news about being able to treat the area affected, that's a plus! :) Charlie sounds like Joey...he also goes to the spa more than I do! I think a weekend trip sounds really nice! I'll put my thinkin cap on for something good...how about comedy tickets for a top act? Anyway, glad to hear you had such a nice Thanksgiving!....have you named the rats yet? I put my tree up the week before thanksgiving! Anyway, keep us posted, everything sounds like it's going in the right direction! As always you are in my thoughts and prayers!
Love,
nikki

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the comments!!! I just love to go onto this website to continue to see the support that I have :-)

No rats named yet! I guess I should just call the next door neighbor's 7 cats over to my house for a fresh Rat Treat!!!

I got my mask for my RT done this afternoon... it's PINK in color so it's just for me! My plush, pink brain will be happy :-)

Debbie

Anonymous said...

I'm picturing ratatouille - the animated movie. Once I'm able to get past THAT visualization I'll work on picturing your brain - pink and shiny isn't working for me....Maybe titanium....nice and impervious and shiny....

Anonymous said...

On the 1st day of Christmas my good friends gave to me some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 2nd day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 3rd day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats, and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 4th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 5th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 6th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 6 finger splints (damn traps), 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 7th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 7 kitten collars ( I thought the cats were fixed!), 6 finger splints, 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 8th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 8 litter boxes, 7 kitten collars, 6 finger splints, 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 9th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 9 pounds of cat food, 8 litter boxes, 7 kitten collars, 6 finger splints, 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 10th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 10 allergy shots, 9 pounds of cat food, 8 litter boxes, 7 kitten collars, 6 finger splints, 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 11th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 11 vacuum bags (so much friggin cat hair), 10 allergy shots, 9 pounds of cat food, 8 litter boxes, 7 kitten collars, 6 finger splints, 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christmas tree
On the 12th day of Christmas my good friends gave to me 12 new chair cushions, 11 vacuum bags, 10 allergy shots, 9 pounds of cat food, 8 litter boxes, 7 kitten collars, 6 finger splints, 5 rodent traps! 4 tetanus shots, 3 rat body bags, 2 hungry cats and some rats in my Christams tree

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!!!
Debbie,
Your friends sorta scare me when they name your scabs and then make up songs for your feral rats....I shiver to think what's next. Should the spot on your frontal lobe be ID'd also to make it an easier target for RT and your own target practice?...I'm just going with the imagery theory here. PS: in getting with the spirit, the pink mask needs a moniker too....

Many hugs from far away, Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Jeanne as in cousin Jeanne??
so the mask - hmmmm......let's think of movies with masks - V for Vendetta, Halloween (1 thru Infinty), The Mask, Elephant Man (ok, it was a bag not a mask if you want to get all technical), Man in the Iron Mask, Silence of the Lambs, The Mask of Zorro, etc., etc. Nothing seems to jump out at you does it? Now pink...Pretty in Pink, the Pink Panther, Pink Flamingos (yuck), etc. Anything there?

How about: In the Pink? Isn't that a phrase that people use when asked how they are feeling and doesn't it imply good health? That is my vote for sure!

Anonymous said...

Mollie, are you not going to admit that you wrote the lovely Christmas song! Whoever wrote it should be proud :-)


Debbie

Anonymous said...

wasn't me - but it is a good one..Baris? Mills?

Anonymous said...

probably Baris

Anonymous said...

Zorro.
Out of the night,
When the full moon is bright,
Comes the horseman known as Zorro.
This bold renegade
Carves a 'Z' with his blade,
A 'Z' that stands for Zorro.

Zorro, Zorro, the fox so cunning and free,
Zorro, Zorro, who makes the sign of the 'Z.'

He is polite,
But the wicked take flight
When they catch the sight of Zorro.
He's friend of the weak,
And the poor and the meek,
This very unique señor Zorro.

Debbie
Her brain ain’t quite right
A radiotherapist’s delight
She’s the masked one known as Debbie
This fung shui yoga queen
A pink shiny healthy bean
And a D that stands for Debbie

Debbie, Debbie, your T-shirt says how we feel
Debbie, Debbie, I’m glad Charlie is for real

She is quite nice
But the rats were not right
When they moved into the tree of Debbie
Her garage will be clean
The cats not quite so lean
We all love you señora Debbie

Anonymous said...

I can't compete with your creative friends. They are good!! I love the songs! :) But, they were really rats like the ones we all had to disect in lab classes??? A little mouse or two is understandable, but RATS??? Yuck!!
I'm so happy to hear you so upbeat. Keep that attitude up! God love ya, girl!
Donna:)

Anonymous said...

Wow, someone should be very proud of themselves....how can you not own up to those posts?
Pretty in Pink is my vote!

Anonymous said...

Mollie is so the Zorro posting - she just wanted to best me :)

Anonymous said...

not bloody likely!

Anonymous said...

Okay, the Zorro/Debbie poem is awesome!! The mask must be named something 'pink' that's for certain. Since we're hoping for a size decrease, how about 'the pink shrinker' or even go prime time TV with 'mad about pink', or 'pink's anatomy'? We could go celebrity, since Debbie will be looking so "mahvelus" in the mask and call it 'Paris Pink' or go Disney and call it 'Beauty and the Pink'.....has anyone seen the kids cartoon called 'Pinkie and the Brain'? That one even has a theme song........gosh, this fun! Hope it's bringing you much needed grins and giggles, Debbie!

Love you! (Yes, cousin) Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Okay, you guys are really good about finding names... I think it's time to take a picture of myself in my mask and post it! Hopefully it'd make you laugh and not envision the reality of my upcoming brain radiation...

I sure do like all of the songs and names people have done this week!!!

I'm wondering if we should just call it "pink is popular" I think you'll agree when you see the picture.

Debbie

Anonymous said...

Hi Deb,
You sound soooo positive, I'm so happy! Sounds like you had a great thanksgiving too. You're friends are a riot I love to read their comments.Keep up the positive thinking especially when you have your pretty in pink mask on!

Love ya
Mary

Anonymous said...

Pinky and the Brain
They're Pinky and the Brain
Yes, Pinky and the Brain
One is a genius, the other's insane
They're laboratory mice
Their genes have been spliced
They're dinky
They're Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain,
Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain

Before each night is done
Their plan will be unfurled
By the dawning of the sun
They'll take over the world

They're Pinky and the Brain
Yes, Pinky and the Brain
Their twilight campaign
Is easy to explain
To prove their mousey worth
They'll overthrow the Earth
They're dinky.
They're Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain,
Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, NARF!

Anonymous said...

who's gonna spoof that one?
-Mol

Anonymous said...

Pinky and her brain
She’s Pinky and her brain
Yes, Pinky and her brain
Enough of this damn refrain
She’s not quite genius, not quite insane
She has Christmas tree mice (I know it was rats but mice works better for the rhyme!)
Fake boughs have been sliced
She’s thinkin’ its stinkin’
She’s Pinky and her brain, brain, brain – aw shit –I’m going insane

Before each night is done
She’s yoga and feng shui
At dawn here comes the sun
And Pinky’s on her way

She’s Pinky and her brain
Yes, Pinky and her brain
Her health is her campaign
Is easy to explain
To prove her brain is pink
Her mask will make you think
Go running for a drink!
She’s thinkin’ its pinkin’
She’s Pinky and her brain
She’s Pinky and her brain, brain brain – argh….
Now sing it all again ♫♪

Anonymous said...

Nicely done. I approve. Narf!
Mol

Anonymous said...

Oh my god- the songs are hilarious. Those are all Baris and May - they are like Simon and Garfunkle. I love how your mask matches your t-shirt. I'm glad to see the laser hair-removal treatment on your armpits worked. And glad there are no red rat eyes glowing from the Xmas tree in the background...